Download “Candida Auris Guidance for Disinfecting” (PDF) >
What is Candida Auris?
Candida Auris is a fungal yeast that is multi drug resistant and causes serious infections around the world. First identified in Asia in 2009, the initial cases in the U.S. were detected mostly in New Jersey and New York beginning in 2016. Symptoms include fever and chills and low blood pressure.1) Typically, Candida Auris doesn’t pose a high threat to healthy individuals, however for places like assisted living facilities and medical offices that host immunocompromised people, an outbreak could be devastating. Candida Auris has a high mortality rate for infected individuals.
The following guide will give you some guidance on disinfecting for Candida Auris.
New research shows that candida Auris colonized on the skin which can aid in spreading the fungus as infected individuals skin sheds on surfaces such as the beds and floors. 2)
Signs and Symptoms3)
- Candida Auris produces fever, chills, and low blood pressure.
- Can live in surfaces for weeks.
- Colonizes on the skin surface.
- Shedding skin flakes makes it highly transmissible.
Candida Auris Disinfecting Tips
- Clean area thoroughly for dirt and debris with high particle filter, use disposable cloths.
- Disinfect surfaces with an EPA-registered disinfectant. Look for products that are effective against Candida auris, such as those listed on the CDC’s List P. Two potential products are hydrogen peroxide and isopropyl alcohol, they have a low one min contact time.(4
- Allow surfaces to dry completely before using them again.
- Clean and disinfect all high-touch surfaces. This includes doorknobs, light switches, countertops, and telephones.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that may have been contaminated with bodily fluids. This includes toilets, sinks, and showers.
- Use a dedicated cleaning cloth for Candida auris. Do not use the same cloth that you use to clean other surfaces.
- Dispose of the cleaning cloth after each use. Do not reuse it.
- Wash your hands after cleaning and disinfecting. This is the most important way to prevent the spread of Candida Auris.
- Careful consideration should be given to the trash of an infected area and disposed of according to CDC guidelines.
- Hire a professional If you need help with disinfecting your facility contact us immediately
Sources and Online Resources
|TO INQUIRE ABOUT DISINFECTING OR JANITORIAL SERVICES
CALL US AT 609-695-6255